WeCompare’s Top Tips to Safe Online Shopping
Jul 1 . 3 m
Retail Therapy Is Calling!
Few things define our contemporary living patterns like online shopping does. From that artisan tea from Japan to your favourite loaf from your local bakery, and everything in between; we are now used to the convenience of buying anything we want at the touch of a button. However, it is important to keep in mind that conducting online transactions potentially places our personal data in a more exposed place. That’s why today we’re rounding up our top tips to ensure that you can conduct your purchases with complete peace of mind.
In a nutshell, online shopping is big business!
To put things into perspective, more than two billion individuals were shopping online in 2020 and projections indicate that a massive $6.5 trillion will be spent online by 2023. Many of us seem to be avid online shoppers with at least 20% purchasing something online once a week.
Doubtlessly, a global pandemic has had a fundamental and lasting effect on our shopping patterns, and a substantial segment that preferred in-store shopping was suddenly buying things online. It is estimated that in the US alone, online sales increased by 32.4% year on year in 2020. It’s safe to say, that the online retail landscape has been irreversibly altered, and the growth opportunities are immense.
So, what can you do to make sure you are safe when you’re pursuing your favourite digital platforms? Here’s what to keep in mind:
- It may seem like an obvious thing but make sure that you have appropriate security controls on your computer. This means that your software and virus protection should be up-to-date, and your passwords are very strong.
- Another tip that might seem obvious – never forward your card details (or any personal details for that matter) via email.
- Effecting purchases from reputable and trustworthy online merchants such as Amazon ensures that you have an added layer of peace of mind.
- If you are going to purchase something from a new website it is important to verify that this is actually a legitimate seller and the website is secure. So, see what people are saying online about this retailer and make sure that the website’s address starts with https and the lock icon is visible.
- If it’s possible, keep a separate card with a limited amount of funds for online purchases. This ensures that if a breach occurs, your most important financial accounts are not impacted.
Thanks to online shopping we have access to a world of products and services at our fingertips, without moving from our living room. By following a few simple guidelines in mind you will be able to enjoy your shopping to the full, knowing that your financial data is safe and sound.
So, whether you like to shop till you drop or simply like buying whatever you need on the go from your phone, there is a broadband and phone package that will give you the perfect online shopping experience.
Click here to compare and save big!